History

West Byfleet Golf Club was formed in 1922, but the course was originally laid down in 1906 just 3 miles outside Woking. The land was then owned by Mr Hugh Locke-King whose other extensive holdings included the famous 'Brooklands' race track. The members took the opportunity to purchase the course in 1922 and changed the name from Bleakdown to West Byfleet Golf Club, thereby exhibiting both outstanding foresight and taste. The original course was designed by Cuthbert Butchart, a much respected professional of his time, whose projects included Worplesdon, West Hill, Hunstanton and Royal County Down. Although the odd hole has changed, the majority of the course remains faithful to the original design. The heathland course is mostly level with just the odd gradient to add some variation.